different video formats, compression systems, stream and hos

Announcements regarding the forum, and the latest news in the assjob scene.

different video formats, compression systems, stream and hos

Postby MrSlide » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Lately I'm seeing that many users is hard to see the material we put into the forum. Some users can only see videos in. wmv format, others can only see. avi format, other users do not know or understand what is a .rar file, etc. So I make this topic to clarify the doubts you have and let your concerns so that EVERYONE can see ALL the material that is placed on the forum.

First of all, if you're a Windows user, you should be able to see ANY format, you only need to download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack 7.9.0. With this codec pack installed, you should be able to see any video in Windows Media Player or other player.

The .rar filer are compressed files that contains files inside or pieces of files inside, it's easy to deal with it, just download and install Winrar then, when you download a .rar file you will only need to do right click on the file then left click on "extract here" and you will have the video file in the same folder that you download the .rar file. When you download a several number of .rar belonging to a chain of .rar files that make one a video is almost the same mechanism, if you have:

assjob_movie.rar
assjob_movie.r01
assjob_movie.r02
assjob_movie.r03
assjob_movie.r04
assjob_movie.r05

you must do right click on "assjob_movie.rar" file then left click on "extract here" and you'll get "assjob_movie.avi" in the same folder that you download the .rar file.

When we post a high definition movie (720p or 1080p) usually are in .mkv format or .mp4, this files are easy to view if you have the K-Lite Codec Pack 7.9.0.

If you have any further questions let me know, the goal is that everyone can see all the material we share.

PS: Hotgod, you know my english is shit, feel free to correct me if you see an error

RandyRacoon said:

Great topic, Mr. Slide. The whole Codec and .Rar files thing can be pretty overwhelming.

I've been PMing people with issues in both categories. I was letting them know about VLC Media Player. It is a free media player that plays every format and does not require codecs at all. Everything is integrated once you install it. Oh, and it works for most operating systems like Windows, Mac, Linux, and Unix.

If anyone is interested, check it out it's free!

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

As for the .Rar thing, you hit it right on the head. The only thing I would add is a Mac alternative. I use both Mac and Windows, the best programs I've found so far are Winrar (Windows) and Unrarx (Mac). Both are simple and do the job. Here's the link to Unrarx:

http://www.unrarx.com/
MrSlide
Site Admin

Re: different video formats, compression systems, stream and

Postby TeddyB » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 pm

I would like to mention video capture tools for streaming sites:

http://freecorder.com/
Only downside is, you'll have to wait for the entire vid to load online for you to be able to download it.
However, whatever and wherever it is, freecorder can record it.

http://flashgot.net/
Flashgot is pretty good all-around, and easy to use for any firefox user.
Using Downthemall along with flashgot will make your life even easier.

A question: which video editor, and which video trimmer would you recommend ?

I've been thinking about getting Sony Vegas, but I'd wish there was a good freeware aroung there. Is there ?
TeddyB

Re: different video formats, compression systems, stream and

Postby MrSlide » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 am

Sony Vegas is an excellent tool but too big for something that simple. I use Ultra Video Splitter to edit assjobs and Ultra Video Joiner to join clips
MrSlide
Site Admin

Previous

Return to News